Master in Germany

Germany has become quite an attractive country for master’s studies in recent years. The availability of many English-taught programs, many students from whole over the world are opting to pursue their master’s studies in Germany. I’ve decided to gather frequently asked questions here. Hopefully, you can find answers to your questions, or at least some of them, here.

What are the requirements to get accepted to a master’s program in Germany?

The requirements vary from university to university and from program to program, but generally, a high GPA, an English language proficiency test result (such as IELTS, TOEFL, etc.), or proof that your undergraduate education was conducted in English are needed.

How can I prove my English proficiency?

While it varies from department to department and university to university, generally accepted exams include IELTS, TOEFL, CAE (Cambridge Advanced English), and CPE (Cambridge Proficiency English).

Do I need to know German?

If the language of instruction in your program is English, you won’t initially need to know German. However, if you’re studying in Bavaria, you’ll need to provide evidence of completing at least level A1 by the end of the first semester. If you have a certificate or proof of completion above A1 level, you can present it to the Registration Office during enrollment. Additionally, knowing German can be beneficial in daily life, as dealing with English in restaurants, cafes, or government offices might not always be possible. Moreover, having proficiency in German can help you navigate through internships and job applications more smoothly after graduation. If you intend to study in a German-speaking program, the language requirement typically ranges from B2 to higher levels. If you don’t have a German language certificate, you can take the exam offered by your school or prove your German proficiency with TestDaf.

What is required for the application process? How can I apply?

The application requirements vary from program to program. Therefore, you should check the current information on the website of the department you intend to apply to. You may encounter different application procedures and requirements in this article or by looking at two different examples.

From which institutions can I receive scholarships?

DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service), Deutschland Stipendium are some of the scholarship providers we are aware of. In addition, you can contact your school’s International Office or Student Council for more information.

What should be my foreign language level?

While the minimum level required for admission to a master’s program is at least B1, you would be more comfortable understanding your courses with a foreign language proficiency level of B2 or C1. Therefore, I recommend starting to improve your foreign language skills as soon as possible.

Can I work part-time? If so, where?

With your student visa, you can work up to 120 full days or 240 half days. If you plan to do voluntary internships within a calendar year, keep in mind the 120-day limit. After this brief information, let’s return to where you can work. If you have experience in your field, you can work part-time (as a Werkstudent/Working Student) at companies in your field. Alternatively, you can earn money by working in laboratories or research projects with professors in the field you want to develop yourself in. Also, if you speak German, you can work as a waiter in cafes, restaurants, or as a cashier in supermarkets.

Is a blocked account necessary to get a visa?

To obtain a visa, you need to demonstrate that your expenses for at least the first year will be covered. The first option is to open a blocked account in Germany and deposit the amount for one year into this account. Another option is to have someone living in Germany sponsor you. For detailed information, you can read our articles on preparing for Germany and the Germany Blocked Account.

What are my chances of finding a job after graduation?

Your chances of finding a job depend on your field of study, your experiences, the field you wrote your thesis on, and your proficiency in German. If you have experience and your thesis is in a developing field, it will be easier for you to find a job.

My undergraduate GPA is not high. Can I get accepted to a master’s program in Germany?

This question is one of the most frequently asked, and unfortunately, we don’t know the answer. However, the evaluation of your master’s application varies from department to department and from university to university. Generally, unless otherwise stated, your master’s evaluation will be based on your undergraduate GPA. Therefore, the higher your GPA, the higher your chances. But this doesn’t mean that it’s impossible to get accepted with a low GPA. Each master’s program has a certain quota. Everyone applying for a master’s degree is ranked according to their undergraduate GPA, language score, and possible extra points. If extra points are not mentioned, only a ranking based on the undergraduate GPA will be made. In this case, your GPA is very important.

Can my family (spouse and/or child) travel with me when applying for a master’s student visa to Germany?

Yes, your spouse can also apply for a visa and come to Germany with you. Your spouse must have at least an A1 level of German proficiency. If you want to come together, you need to deposit more money into your account. Before opening a blocked account, be sure to read our articles on the blocked account and check the consulate’s website for information.

Do I have permission to search for a job after graduation?

If you have enough money in your account to extend your visa, you can get a job search visa for up to 1.5 years, and during this time, if you find a job, you can change your visa type and proceed towards permanent residency.

Zeen is a next generation WordPress theme. ItÔÇÖs powerful, beautifully designed and comes with everything you need to engage your visitors and increase conversions.